Thursday, October 21, 2004

Dentist appointment today

Who needs dental insurance anyway?

I'm going to the dentist today. Now that Kelly and I are "old" they suggested that we may not want to pay for dental insurance any more because it's less likely we'll have many more cavities etc. Yeah, well, Kelly just had a $1000 crown done (it's not even gold!). So at least this year we've lost out on that plan. So maybe we should have gone for the insurance. But the dental insurance offered through Kelly's job is expensive and doesn't cover a lot. I've looked for dental insurance as an individual (because I'm self employed) but that always costs more than even a crummy dental plan at a company. (Same goes for medical insurance and vision).

Gums

I learned that it's possible to brush too hard when you brush your teeth. Who knew? I always thought the more vigorously you brushed the better. Heh, well, turns out you can wear away your gums.

It was a great moment when the dental hygienist showed me where my gums were worn away. I asked "How long until they heal and grow back?" Ha ha ha. Whew. Yeah, he said "Nah, they won't grow back. You just need to take care of what you have left. Try this electric toothbrush from now on."

So I switched to a Braun Oral-B Super-3D Stereo-vision Triple Rechargeable Double Advanced Excel electric toothbrush. I don't know what it's called. It works really well and my teeth and gums are happier. Even Kelly, who thought the electric toothbrush was a little too much at first, likes it now. And Jonah desperately wants to use it to brush his teeth or hair or something.

Cracked filling

One of my fillings is cracked. It's gonna be $200 to replace it with a new one made of "amalgam." When my dentist said the filling was cracked I asked for a gold tooth right away. She laughed and said she knew I'd say that. I guess I've told her how much I like my existing gold tooth a lot. It's shiny!

No comments: