Monday, September 14, 2009

Making stuff with yeast

Yeast is weird, and cool. At least if you're baking with it. I made bagels from scratch yesterday and they come out really really good. I used our bread maker to do the mixing etc, but I boiled 'em and baked 'em. Anyway, here's the bread-machine bagel recipe. The bagels came out better looking than the picture. Kelly and the kids were napping when the bagels were done. I tried the most misshapen one. It was good. Really good. I figured I'd better try one of the bigger bagels. You know, to make sure it was done in the middle. It was done. I almost ate the other nine bagels immediately but I think the nappers started waking up and I wasn't sure how I was going to explain myself.

To continue SUPER FUN BAKING WITH YEAST WEEK I looked around for more recipes. What started this all was I saw an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown about cinnamon rolls. So that's what I'm making now. Well, we're in preparation to make them. All the ingredients need to be at room temperature. It's ridiculous. Also it requires lots of egg yolks. So we had to figure out what to do with all the egg whites. The answer: Chocolate meringue cookies. They're baking right now... We didn't put any chocolate chips in. But we're kind of heretics like that. We usually don't go for the super double chocolatey desserts. I'll go take some pictures so this won't be so boring.

Next up: Cinnamon Roll report.

No comments: