Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kindle, Pizza and Solitaire

Kelly's Kindle 2

Kelly's Kindle 2 (e-Book from Amazon) is broken. Well, the screen is broken. The upper-right corner looks all jumbled and there are some stray vertical and horizontal white lines too. I accused her like 7 times of dropping it or doing something bad. But she denied any wrong-doing. I googled around and the same thing has happened to other Kindle owners. I wonder if the screen is fragile or if it might be some other issue.

Amazon support wrote me back quickly and gave me a number to call. I called and the guy was very nice and they're sending out a replacement Kindle tomorrow. I wonder now if there was a defect in it, if it's really delicate, if a kid juggled it or what. And I wonder if the new one will have the same problem.

Save/Restore undo history in Solitaire (aka "Boring")

I'm adding "Undo" save and restore to Solitaire for the iPhone. So it'll remember your moves when you quit and resume later. It ought to be easy since it already worked for Palm OS...

Pizza Hut Coupons?

We just got a sheet of Pizza Hut coupons at our door. I don't like Pizza Hut, but I looked at these and I'm going. And we've even been making our own pizzas from scratch. Although they're only so-so. They'd be good except that the weird (tiny) European oven we have only goes up to 450 degrees. And there's only a top burner. So no crispy crust for us. Stupid oven.

The first coupon is $3 for a medium 1 topping pizza. That's like free. I mean, they don't make money on that do they? I thought that was so cheap that at first I didn't notice the next coupon. Now that I've studied it, it's my favorite coupon of all time:

Any Pizza
Any Size
Up to 3 Toppings or Specialty
$10

So what they're saying here is "OMG The economy is really bad. We really want you to start coming to our shop or we're going out of business. Here's the deal: You buy ANY pizza, small, extra large, large with a hole in the middle, whatever you want. We don't care. We'll put anything on it. ANYTHING. You want another pizza on it? No prob. You want a Tower of Hanoi pizza with 7 pizzas each a different diameter? It's in the oven now. You want to bring your so-so pizza from home and have us wrap it up with one of ours and then deep fry it? Done. Whatever you want, okay? $10. Please. Please, just come to our store. Look, we'll send someone over -- you show them the $10 and they'll pull you to the store in a wagon. $10. Any pizza, and you get a free wagon ride. Okay?"

No comments: